Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ordinary vs. Favorites

Ordinary

I work 9-5:30 Monday thru Friday at a desk job (that generally I enjoy!) so in order to keep from having to sit all day, I try to hit the gym at lunch (we have two gym’s onsite at work). It gives me an opportunity to get away from the work, clutter & stress of my desk and move around for a good 30-45 minutes.


This also means that I have to either bring my lunch or pick something up from the cafĂ© at work on my way back from the Gym. Two issues here… 1) I never get up early enough to pack a lunch, and never remember to make one the night before and 2) eating vegetarian at the cafe doesn’t offer too many options. Salad or a Veggie sandwich. (unless they happen to have a vegetarian based soup, which doesn’t happen very often)


I go through phases, some weeks they have good bread (multigrain or whole wheat rolls) and I’ll have a portabella or other grilled veggie sandwich. Others, nothing looks good and I eat salad every day. Neither of these options is terrible, but really… it gets quite boring.

Favorite


When we have people from other countries visiting the office (I do work for a pretty worldwide company) or someone leaving or coming back to work, our group is pretty quick to have a group lunch outside of the office. With most of the options in town, (especially the popular ones) I usually end up eating a Caesar salad or some other variation of a lettuce based lunch.

I was pleasantly surprised a few months ago when I happened across this amazing (not quite healthy, I’ll admit) lunch option at one of my favorite pre-vegetarian days restaurant.

It’s called the 3 Grilled Cheese and it’s pretty delicious!


Inside, 3 different cheeses melted together with ribbons of basil & honey smeared on the sourdough bread. On the side is a creamy Tomato Basil soup (that I’m pretty sure has some ricotta cheese mixed in to give it a different texture)

I’m sad to report, I believe they have since taken it off their menu... though I can’t imagine why!

I’m working on perfecting it at home... stay tuned! ;)

~ Sammie

No comments: