Saturday, January 8, 2011

Artichoke Bruschetta

One of the things I tell people that always makes them look at me a bit funny is that growing up I thought about going to culinary school. Normal so far, Right? The part that makes them scratch their head is that I think the main thing that stopped me from going down that life path was tomatoes :) Strange I know, but I HATE tomatoes; weird skin, slimy insides, bleh. For the first few years I dated my husband, if he wanted tomatoes on a sandwich, he had to cut them himself. I've since gotten past that stage, but I still shy away from eating them as the main component in a dish. And so, this has quickly become one of my favorite substitution recipes for the popular Italian tomato based dish, Bruschetta.


One quick note: USE FRESH RICOTTA! It's amazing, it definatly makes this dish.  I happend to find mine in the cheese section of Whole Foods, but I believe you can get it in other food stores with the Fresh Mozzarella.


Ok two quick notes: Please excuse my photo's until I get my flash fixed! On camera flash and natural light only :(



Artichoke Bruschetta




Ingredients:

4-5 garlic cloves
Whole Wheat Baguette
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Jar of Marinated Arthichoke hearts, drained
a cup fresh ricotta cheese
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Parmesan cheese


Process:

Preheat oven to 350°

Slice Whole Wheat Baguette into about ½ inch slices and place on a baking sheet, put into preheated oven until crispy. Remove & set aside.

Heat tablespoon of evoo in a skillet over medium high heat. Chop two garlic cloves and drain artichoke hearts. Add to heated oil and sauté about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and place in a bowl. With the back of a fork, mash the mixture until the pieces are uniform.

Take the cooled bread slices and rub the remaining garlic cloves on the crispy bread (easier to do when the garlic clove is whole)

Season ricotta cheese with fresh cracked pepper and salt, mix together. Spread a layer of the fresh ricotta on the bread then top with the artichoke mixture. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and drizzle with evoo.

No comments: